Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Here I am Lord….

You know the hymn: Here I am Lord. Is it I Lord? I have heard You, calling in the night…

The reality of the matter is that it doesn’t seem that the Lord is calling me in the night. It is usually a 4 month old screaming wanting to be fed or a 3 year old calling me to get her 9th glass of water for the evening. It is hard to see these two little monkeys as the face of Jesus in the wee hours of the night. They don’t preach the Gospel to me or perform miracles, or do they?
In Matthew 25:34-36 Jesus taught us:
Then the king will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father. Inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, a stranger and you welcomed me, naked and you clothed me, ill and you cared for me, in prison and you visited me.'
I sometimes fail to recognize the importance of my work as a mother, it seems tedious at times. I do the same things over and over again and I take for granted the opportunity to serve God.

Anyone who changes the diaper of a wiggly baby has the opportunity to meditate on Patience.
Being asked 10 times “Mom, but WHY can’t you be a bus driver when you grow up?” can learn Fortitude.
Having your daughter tell visitors exactly how much weight Mommy lost on her diet can teach Humility.

The struggle is to stop and recognize these opportunities. I am still trying to match up my daily life with the teaching of the Gospel. It is easier to recognize that I am serving Christ as I give my daughter and Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwich. But visiting those is prison? Maybe next time she is in time-out I can keep her company.

No comments: