Monday, September 12, 2005

Learning about detachment through preschool

Today was Isabella’s first day of preschool.
Last year I was a basket case, this year I am just reflective. She is now going 3 days a week (instead of 2) and this morning has been very interesting.

I listened to the radio quietly. I didn’t have to compete with the “Princess Tea” audio tape.
I cleaned my kitchen until it is sparkling clean.
I even washed the floor and there are still no little footprints on it.
I had a 20 minute phone conversation without one “Mom, Mom, Mom, EXCUSE ME! MOM!”
Baby Stephen and I had one on one play time together. I spoiled him with my attention and he seems to really like it.
I am actually posting to my Blog, which I haven’t done in weeks.
I am showered, relaxed and the baby is sleeping soundly.

But something is definitely missing. God has put my beautiful daughter in my life and when she isn’t near I know something is not right. As a mother I cherish each moment with her but it has taken her absence for me to realize how special my days with her are. Her constant singing can rival that of an angels choir (although I don’t know if they sing about Beauty and the Beast in Heaven). Her bouncing around makes me dizzy but at least there is laughter in my day. The constant hugs are a feast for the spirit.

I am grateful that she is in preschool, meeting new friends and playing. (And at least the teachers get to clean up the mess of paints for a change.) But I have to admit, I am looking forward to her coming home.

No comments: