Sunday, March 23, 2008

Politics, Sex and Religion...



I am like a moth to a flame, it never fails...

At any given time I am able to put my foot in my mouth about one of these subjects at a family function, usually on a big holiday. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy having discussions but I truly think the "appropriate-meter" in my brain went kind of haywire years ago.

Politics: Usually I am complaining that I am sick of them. Oh, and by the way, I am! Whether it is the latest Zogby poll, speech or controversial issue up for vote in DC I tend to make my opinion known.

Sex: This one is a fairly safe one for me because, while I am not a prude, I still tend to be respectful of this private topic. Okay, that isn't completely true. When we discuss issues like artificial contraception, oh I get pretty hot around the collar. Oh! And when we discuss that 1 in 4 teenagers has an STD by 14 years - you bet I have an opinion about it. I guess fashion relates to sex these days. After all, clothing companies have decided to dress 14 year olds like vamps and treat parents like morons if we ask a salesgirl for a pair of jeans that aren’t ultra low-rise.

Religion: For my own good I will just say very little about this. I just can’t seem to say the right thing at the right moment. How should one react to another person when their faith is being mocked, abused or slandered? Shall we sit silent when a person is misinformed? Is it better to say nothing and keep peace or be true to our Faith and risk isolating others or unintentionally “offending” those you are conversing with?

Regardless of the topic or time I hear myself talking all while saying in my head “Dear Lord woman…Shut Up!”

The truth is, I blame my children. I have even weaker social skills because I now hang out with the juice box crowd. In addition, my social opportunities are less frequent which sets me up for perfect conditions for being conversationally-challenged.

I will try to stick with some safe topics for my next social outing:

- How to make a fantastic peanut butter and “jolly” sandwich
- Potty training: Why diapers aren’t that bad anyway
- Gender issues: When the gas light is on, how far can you risk it?
- Playing with Barbie Dolls: Innocent fun.

Wait a minute, I have to admit Barbie is much better than those disgusting trashy Bratz dolls but Barbie is no picture of innocence either. I mean seriously, talk about leading Ken on with those ridiculous outfits and wearing even more make-up as the years go by. Doesn’t she know that it will only make boys think about one thing? ….The sad thing is that I have had this discussion when I took my daughter for a playdate. I seriously need to shut up.

No comments: